Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sleep Cometh for Those Who Wait!

Last week, we started something new with Benny's schedule. We decided to cut out naps and put him to bed earlier. If you follow my blog, you know the challenges we've been having with getting him to sleep at a normal time. Or at all, for that matter. I was scared to give up his nap time, because, aside from him needing the sleep, I needed the peace and quiet, and sometimes, even sleep! I replaced his nap with down time, we sit and play a game or we cuddle on the couch and watch a movie. But I talk to him through out to make sure he is not falling asleep! 

He eats dinner at 6, bath afterward, pjs/brushing teeth/brushing hair, and he usually has a couple extra minutes to do a quick clean up before getting into bed at 7. We sing shema, turn out the lights, put on some music for him. When we are diligent in keeping things on time, he is asleep by 7:15. I have become neurotic about making sure we are never out later than 5:30. If we miss the 7 o'clock mark, it takes him longer and without downtime for myself during the day, I can't deal with that! 

Now, this does turn him into quite the kvetch for the last bit of his day, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make. In exchange for him going to sleep so nicely, I try very hard to have extra patience at the end of the day!

The best part of this is that it doesn't really make him wake up much earlier in the morning. He still gets up somewhere around 7 or 7:30, some days I get lucky and he waits until 8! The good news is that he has no problem hanging out in bed with me for a bit. Until he starts demanding food. Then I have no choice but to get up and start the day. That doesn't mean he has stopped waking up in middle of the night, but those incidents are becoming more rare and easier to deal with as well!

He doesn't even argue anymore about going into bed. Tonight, I told him to run to bed as I was straightening up his bathroom. I found him tucked in, snuggling with his bear, waiting for me nicely. I didn't have to get into bed with him. I stood there, sang shema, gave him a kiss and away I went. Did not hear a peep of protest. My little boy is really growing up! 

No comments: